Coniston Cricket Pavilion, Cumbria
Coniston Cricket Club were looking to replace their existing decrepit changing rooms with an exemplar building that responds to, and makes use of, its beautiful surroundings. The proposals should also include thoughts about a second use for the structure, outside of the cricket season.
Our design for the club house is highly functional and contemporary, while at the same time looking towards traditional forms of construction. The design of the pavilion has been driven first and foremost by the requirements of a cricket club.
We propose to move the pavilion further up the ground so it overlooks the green, so that it makes best use of the sun path, and so that on arrival one sees the pavilion nestling under the dominant Coniston Fells.
We also propose that it could be assembled by anyone who can hold a power drill, to involve the community in its construction. Timber foundations, timber frame, straw bail insulation, pre-cut timber sheets and slats could all be used to good effect.
We propose a wildflower roof that echoes the surrounding fields that could also capture water by funneling it in to the 5,000 litre water butts that sit at the rear of the building next to the photo voltaic array.
When not in use the Coniston Cricket Pavilion goes in to hibernation – sliding screens and folding panels lock the structure down to protect the building. When in use the screens slide apart to reveal a social space with uninterrupted views of the green, scoreboards and changing rooms.
The space would be set up to cater for nearly 30 people and would see the changing rooms being transformed into a dormitory that could sleep 11 people each. This would enable the Pavilion to be used for other local events such as yoga retreats, school outings, birthday parties, meetings, presentations, talks or friends and family on holiday.
Facts + Figures
Client: Coniston Cricket Club with Grizedale Arta
Location: Coniston, Cumbria
Construction cost: Confidential
- Tiny Voices Early Learning Centre, Hobsonville PointTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:53:43+00:00
- East Coast Bays Library, Browns BayTiffany Smith2022-03-31T03:58:49+00:00
- Fiona Larsen Dermatology, NorthcoteTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:12:51+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre / Source Café, PakurangaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:44:17+00:00
- Coniston Cricket Pavilion, CumbriaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:49:14+00:00
- Peabody Small Projects Panel, LondonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:59:32+00:00
- New Zealand Green Building Council Head Office, Auckland CBDTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:00:01+00:00
- The Great Fen Visitors Centre, CambridgeshireTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:01:18+00:00
- York Guildhall, YorkTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:19:20+00:00
- The Macallan: New Distillery Competition Brief, LondonTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:17:30+00:00
- Commercial Building, OrewaTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:24:24+00:00
- Ngati Hine Health Trust Centre, KawakawaTiffany Smith2022-04-01T01:06:05+00:00