Commercial Building, Orewa
An unusual brief with a unique opportunity to reinterpret the bland tin shed and Alucobond block so common in NZ.
Stacking the office on two levels allowed us to maximise site area for parking and future development, but presented a disconnect in volume with the one storey warehouse. Separating the two and placing an entrance canopy between helped, but through one simple move
(a twist!), a bland warehouse and office was made into a work of architecture.
At each end of the building a vertical wall of profiled steel begins, lifting as it moves towards the opposite end. As it lifts, so the top of the wall leans over to become roof, with the whole wall panel becoming roof panel by the opposite end.
Careful refinement of this unique concept allows the whole structure to be fabricated from straight steel beams and flat sheets of profiled steel cladding, keeping costs to a minimum.
Facts + Figures
Client: Northbridge Properties
Location: Albany, Auckland, New Zealand
Construction cost: NZD 1.2 million
Programme: Completed 2010
- Tiny Voices Early Learning Centre, Hobsonville PointTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:53:43+00:00
- East Coast Bays Library, Browns BayTiffany Smith2022-03-31T03:58:49+00:00
- Fiona Larsen Dermatology, NorthcoteTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:12:51+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre / Source Café, PakurangaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:44:17+00:00
- Coniston Cricket Pavilion, CumbriaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:49:14+00:00
- Peabody Small Projects Panel, LondonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:59:32+00:00
- New Zealand Green Building Council Head Office, Auckland CBDTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:00:01+00:00
- The Great Fen Visitors Centre, CambridgeshireTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:01:18+00:00
- York Guildhall, YorkTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:19:20+00:00
- The Macallan: New Distillery Competition Brief, LondonTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:17:30+00:00
- Commercial Building, OrewaTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:24:24+00:00
- Ngati Hine Health Trust Centre, KawakawaTiffany Smith2022-04-01T01:06:05+00:00