Private Home, Highgate, London
A Grade II Listed Building in Highgate Conservation Area, one of the oldest villages in London, was at some point in its 300 year history, split into two dwellings.
One of these dwellings, set over four levels, on a steep site, has been rearranged over the lower two levels and extended into the very long garden. Following careful consultation with the Local Authority we proposed a simple glass extension to the rear, with a green roof floating above to form a new living room.
Defined by constraints on the site (neighbouring extensions, boundary walls, vents, sunlight and daylight, and neighbouring trees), the transparent nature of the uncompromisingly modern extension allows the historic
facade to be visible from the garden, where it was once obscured by a smaller more solid extension.
The Highgate refurbishment and extension allows the lower floor to become a guest bedroom and bathroom, and the raised entrance level to be a new kitchen and dining room.
Structural Engineering by Engenuiti; Arboricultural Consultancy by Patrick Stileman and Rights of Light and Party Wall advice was by Delva Patman Redler. Photography by JM Smith Photography.
Facts + Figures
Location: Highgate, London
Construction cost: Confidential
Programme: Completed 2015
Project Team: Phil Smith
Image Credit: JM Smith Photography
- Private Home, TakapunaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:57:52+00:00
- Private Home, Whananaki NorthTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:58:23+00:00
- Private Home, West Hampstead, LondonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:18:05+00:00
- Private Home, CumbriaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:30:46+00:00
- Private Home, West YorkshireTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:35:23+00:00
- Private Home, SurreyTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:43:31+00:00
- Private Home, Highgate, LondonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:43:39+00:00
- Private Home, New Kings Road, LondonTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:19:08+00:00
- Private Home, West NorwoodTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:16:14+00:00
- Private Home, RemueraTiffany Smith2022-04-01T01:07:50+00:00