Te Mirumiru Early Childhood Education Centre, Kawakawa
This design is an early childhood building for a Maori tribe (Ngāti Hine) in Kawakawa, New Zealand. The brief called for a building which would not only accommodate the clients tamariki (children) but teach them about their culture and customs on a daily basis whilst having a minimal impact on the environment.
Our concept for the building is based on the Maori tradition that all life is born from the womb of Papatūānuku (earth mother), under the sea: the word for land (whenua) in Maori also means placenta.
Maori architecture is historically rich in symbolism, and so the design is conceived by shaping the land into a womb-like form, with the building forming just like a baby within: the building literally grows out of the land.
The only opening to the building is along the north facade, and reads as a cut in the earth. This cut symbolically represents the caesarian birth through which all of the clients iwi (tribe) take their lineage: their ancestor Hine ā Maru was the first recorded Maori woman to deliver a child by caesarian section and survive the procedure about 600 years ago. It is from this opening that the children symbolically enter the ‘world of light’, where they play.
The building is located on marshy ground, with the ‘womb-like form’ appearing as an island, relating back to the tradition that all land is born from under the sea. A bridge is formed to give access to the island, which is symbolically shaped into the tribal waka (canoe) Ngātokimatawhaorua, representing the journey of the tribes forefathers from Hawaiki to Aotearoa (NZ).
The earth that mounds up over the building makes reference to Ngāti Hine-pukerau (Ngāti Hine of a hundred hills-a local name derived from the landscape). The interior, below the earth, represents the nearby Waiomio caves where the ancestors lay buried and the Ruapekapeka pā (fortification) where the ancestor Kawiti cleverly used underground shelters as defence from attack. The circular form of the design also draws inspiration from traditional pā.
It was equally important to integrate passive environmental design features into the building, so all ‘symbolic’ features have many environmental purposes: all glazing is oriented to the north for maximum solar gain, whilst the super-insulated earth roof results in minimal heat loss, which is further assisted by the unheated circulation space placed to the south. For further internal comfort, exposed concrete construction and natural ventilation allows the building to be passively cooled in summer, with minimal heating back-up in winter provided by a solar hot water underfloor system. All spaces are naturally daylit and will need no additional electrical lighting during the daytime. All blackwater is treated on site and the clean nutrient rich water is used to irrigate the green roof.
The design has received a 6 Greenstar Education Rating (highest possible) from the New Zealand Green Building Council making it one of only three buildings in NZ to receive this accolade, and is the only Greenstar rated early childhood centre in the whole of Australasia.
Te Mirumiru early childhood centre has received 11 international and national awards, culminating in 2014 with the World Green Building Council’s Leadership in Sustainable Design Award, the only building in the whole of the Asia Pacific region to receive such a title.
Facts + Figures
Client: Ngati Hine Health Trust
Location: Kawakawa, Northland, New Zealand
Construction cost: NZD 2.2 million
Programme: Completed 2012
Project Team: Phil Smith, Chloe Forsman, Grayson Wanda
Construction: Harnett Builders
Landscape Design: Collingridge and Smith
Interiors: Guyco Joinery
Image Credit: Simon Devitt
- Te Mirumiru Early Childhood Education Centre, KawakawaTiffany Smith2022-05-11T23:56:54+00:00
- Chrysalis Early Learning Centre, AvondaleTiffany Smith2022-05-12T00:49:32+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre, WhenuapaiTiffany Smith2022-05-12T00:59:33+00:00
- Little Doves Early Learning Centre, AlbanyTiffany Smith2022-05-12T01:16:10+00:00
- Three Trees Learning Centre, RollestonTiffany Smith2022-05-24T03:56:01+00:00
- Campbell’s Bay Early Learning CentreTiffany Smith2022-05-24T03:35:38+00:00
- Creators Educational Trust, HamiltonTiffany Smith2022-05-24T03:45:59+00:00
- Fantails Estate, Dairy FlatTiffany Smith2022-05-24T03:39:31+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre, KerikeriTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:48:07+00:00
- Giraffe Early Learning Centre, Three KingsTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:48:36+00:00
- Academy of Gifted Education, TakapunaTiffany Smith2022-05-19T01:36:40+00:00
- The Rainbow Corner Early Learning Centre, TakaniniTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:49:38+00:00
- The Willows Early Learning Centre, ChristchurchTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:52:06+00:00
- Kakapo Creek Children’s Garden, Mairangi BayTiffany Smith2022-05-24T02:45:08+00:00
- Tiny Voices Early Learning Centre, Hobsonville PointTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:53:43+00:00
- Insight Early Learning Centre, MelbourneTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:54:04+00:00
- Gaia (Earth) Forest Preschool, ManurewaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T00:56:04+00:00
- Tūrama, Kristin School Sports Hall, AlbanyTiffany Smith2022-05-30T21:11:20+00:00
- Saint Kentigern Preschool, RemueraTiffany Smith2022-03-31T03:02:03+00:00
- House of Wonder Childcare, CambridgeTiffany Smith2022-03-31T03:56:53+00:00
- Kid Country Early Learning Centre, KumeuTiffany Smith2022-03-31T03:57:53+00:00
- Little Pohutukawa Preschool, AlbanyTiffany Smith2022-03-31T03:59:42+00:00
- The Rainbow Corner Early Learning Centre, BethlehemTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:02:01+00:00
- Wild and Love Early Learning Village, PukekoheTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:02:22+00:00
- Early Learning Centre, Abu Dhabi UAETiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:02:45+00:00
- Little Thinkers Private Kindergarten, CambridgeTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:03:24+00:00
- Kids Cove Early Learning Centre, AlbanyTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:05:47+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre, MatamataTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:06:13+00:00
- Hobsonville Kindergarten, HobsonvilleTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:07:42+00:00
- Northcote Early Learning Centre, NorthcoteTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:08:09+00:00
- Lightbulb Learning Childcare, Mt WellingtonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:12:46+00:00
- Creators Educational Trust, Te AwamutuTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:12:48+00:00
- Mt Wellies Childcare Centre, Mt WellingtonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T04:13:07+00:00
- Omaka Early Learning Centre, BlenheimTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:37:16+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre / Source Café, PakurangaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:44:17+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre, HamiltonTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:52:17+00:00
- Bright Sparks Childcare, OrewaTiffany Smith2022-03-31T23:54:01+00:00
- Living and Learning Family Centres, MangereTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:22:34+00:00
- Pascals, AlbanyTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:23:49+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre, SunnynookTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:24:35+00:00
- Peacocks Early Learning Centre, St LukesTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:30:05+00:00
- Peacocks Early Learning Centre, EpsomTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:30:18+00:00
- Peacocks Early Learning Centre, StonefieldsTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:30:28+00:00
- Fantails Early Learning Centre, SilverdaleTiffany Smith2022-04-01T00:30:50+00:00
- Living and Learning Family Centres, HendersonTiffany Smith2022-04-01T01:09:07+00:00
- New Shoots Children’s Centre, PapamoaTiffany Smith2022-04-01T01:08:51+00:00
- Early Learning Centre, AucklandTiffany Smith2022-04-01T01:08:38+00:00